Dean DirksConsulting Partner
Branded food service operations leader with over 30 years experience of working with multiple branded food service operations. In-depth knowledge of convenience store branded food service as well as traditional branded food service. Specializing in consultation with retailers to increase sales, reduce food and labor costs. Branded food service experience includes, Subway, Taco Bell, A&W, Dairy Queen, Arby’s, Godfather’s, Domino’s, Little Caesars, Qudoba, Church’s Fried Chicken, Winchell’s Donuts, Starbucks and Seattle’s Best Coffee.
b2b SOLUTIONS, LLC, Lake Forest, Illinois
Full service consultancy for retailers and suppliers to retail firms.
Consulting Partner, 2010 – Present
Responsible for consulting on new and existing foodservice operations including site review, developing pro formas, ROI analysis, profit and loss analysis, and cost reduction including labor for b2b Solutions.
DIRKS & ASSOCIATES, Gig Harbor, WA (2004 – 2010)
President – Responsible for day to day operations of Dirks & Associates.
- Conducted site surveys, due diligence studies, and financial forecasting for retailers considering branded food services.
- Analyzed financial statements to identify financial opportunities.
- Assisted retailer’s increasing sales through advertising, merchandising and local store marketing.
- Consulted with retailers to reduce labor costs through a complete labor program
- Reviewed procedures, pricing, and reporting to reduce food costs.
- Developed action plans for branded compliance
FIRST HAND MANAGEMENT, Parker, CO (2002 – 2004)
Vice President – Category Management
- Responsible for food service category management for 54 stores
- Developed food service marketing and promotions for 54 stores
WEST STAR CORPORATION, INC., Olympia, WA (1996 – 2002)
Vice President of Operations
- Responsible for operations of 30 C-Stores and 2 Truck Stops
- Developed systems that reduced corporate labor $200,000 in 1 yr
- Supervised 9 Subways, 5 Taco Bells, 1 A&W, and 7 Winchell’s Donuts
- Prepared pro formas for all new business
- Evaluated values of new purchases; budgets, projected cash flow. & ROI
- Reviewed the viability of the new sites
- Analyzed leases
- Supervised construction
- Developed new food service concept
- Responsible for operations of all concepts, supervising 20 managers
MARRIOTT FOOD SERVICES, WESTERN DIVISION, (1986 – 1996)
Food Service Director
- Supervised retail operations at Washington State University.
- Managed catering for up to 2,000 people
- Responsible for retail operations at Gonzaga University.
- Supervised, Starbucks, Dominos, Little Caesars, and Godfathers
- Developed and supervised proprietary food service.
- Food Service Director, 1990 Goodwill Games, Seattle, WA
- Food Service Director, 1992 NCAA Basketball, Boise, ID
- Food Service Director, Fiesta Bowl, NCAA Football Championship
- Evaluated new business opportunities in Event Management Division
Bachelor of Science, Business Management, 1983
Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
Food Service Advisory Groups
National Association of Convenience Stores – General Mills
Convenience Store News – Sarah Lee
Convenience Store Petroleum – Kraft
Convenience Store Decisions – Boyd’s Coffee
Pierre Foods – Ruiz Food