Deborah HollandConsulting Partner
Foodservice executive with over 20 years of experience, specialized expertise in new concept development and turn-around/revitalization situations. Extensive experience includes business growth strategies, project planning and analysis, program menu development, production labor planning, cost management and visual merchandising. Possesses regional and national experience across all major markets from premier restaurant and specialty gourmet retailers to conventional supermarkets and convenient store operations.
b2b SOLUTIONS, LLC, Lake Forest, Illinois
Full service consulting company for retailers and suppliers to retail firms.
Consulting Partner, 2004 – Present
Diverse experience includes: Fast-Casual, Quick-service, Full-Service casual and fine dining restaurant concepts; Retail Foodservice; Prepared Foods; Delicatessens; Bakeries; Specialty Cheese Shops; Gourmet Ethnic Foods; Coffee/Juice Bars; Catering; Gift Basket Programs; Commissary Production; Perishable Floral, Produce, Meat/Seafood Programs; JV/Franchises.
FOOD SENSE, INC, Dallas, TX (2000 – 2004)
Foodservice new concepts development and revitalization consulting firm.
President and Founder
- Developed new concepts and revitalization programs for some of the nation’s most respected premier convenient store retailers and foodservice operators to include: Family Express Corporation; Chevron/Texaco; Store 24 Companies; among
- Consistently revitalized foodservice profits in multi-unit chains to achieve double-digit sales growth and net profit within 90 days implementation, after years of poor declining
- Innovative business approaches have resulted in record sales and profit gains with strong record of achievements in strategic operations management in the foodservice industry. Clients experienced a minimum four-fold payback return on concept development investments.
AHOLD USA, INC., TOPS MARKETS DIVISION, Williamsville, NY (1998 – 2000)
A $3 billion, 375+ unit supermarket and multi-concept convenient store chain of Ahold USA, Inc. of Royal Ahold, leading world food retailer, $43 billion revenues across 1,600 stores in 25 countries.
Director of Meal Solutions Departments and National Synergy Chairperson
- Successfully achieved positive comparable department sales increases 20+% in 12 months, during a period of consecutive year declining sales, through development and execution of growth strategies. Developed marketing, merchandising and operations programs of 120+ conventional supermarket store chains, including supply chain management and catering.
- Revitalized Developed and implemented strategic operating plans, resulting in marked improvement in customer satisfaction, quality images, yielding comparable sales trends of Perishable foods liaison for Meal Solutions development and Wilson Farms convenient 125+ store chain, heading strategic planning and prototype development for commissary and manufacturer supported, prepack fresh food private label programs and supply chain networks.
- Served as National Chairperson for Ahold USA’s Executive Merchandising Synergy Group of Six Divisional Chains ($43 billion revenues and 1,600 stores), successfully identified $2.5+ million savings opportunities.
WHOLE FOODS MARKET, INC., Austin, TX (1996 – 1998)
The nation’s largest natural gourmet supermarket retailer, Revenues $3 billion, 133+ stores.
National Director Of Food-Service Operations, Executive Team Advisor
- Developed long-term vision and effective business strategies for prepared foods and specialty departments, across all major regional markets. Directed and coordinated food-service leadership teams to achieve sales and profitability objectives and maintain competitive edge.
- Implemented new prototype Prepared Foods Departments, increasing store penetrations over 200%, generating $150k+ weekly department revenues and record profitability within 90 days.
- Designed and implemented national management systems and training programs, yielding significant sales and customer traffic improvements and increasing profit 300% of sales in pilot
- Evolved program to over 15 stores in 7 markets, 5 states and 3 regions in 8 months.
- Developed new store prototypes, venues, planning strategies, merchandising programs, training and product management systems, resulting in significant sales and profit prototype increases. Developed and coordinated inventory cost control management systems regionally.
BRINKER INTERNATIONAL, Dallas, TX (1990 – 1996)
Premier international multi-concept restaurant chain operators, $3.2 billion revenues, units $1,268+ across 8 concept formats, 49 states and 22 countries.
Eatzi’s Market and Bakery, Concept Operations (1994 – 1996)
As core team member of start-up Concept Development Team, was instrumental in the successful strategic planning and development, generating over $250K weekly sales, 70% prepared foods sales distribution across in-house production of 16 venues. Concept received NRA award for ‘New Concept of the Year.”
- Successfully directed and coordinated project team efforts of Merchandisers, Corporate Chef’s, Product Development, Operations Management, Procurement, POS Systems, Training and Corporate Support.
- Planning efforts resulted in record setting sales per square feet ratios, annual sales volumes and ROI’s well above industry and company averages.
- Developed and recommended menu engineering strategies, competitive pricing strategies and operational system structures resulting in sales increases of 200% and cost reductions of 25%
- to achieve operating unit profitability within 90 days of opening.
- Designed innovative product management systems to execute this undefined concept.
Senior Operations Strategic Planning & Development Analyst (1992 – 1996)
Generated $2+ million annualized savings through operational analysis, implementation of cost control systems and innovative strategies. Received 1995 Star Award from officers for extraordinary contribution to concept executive management teams, helping acquired concept achieve profitability and competitive advantage.
Inventory Cost Analyst, Capital Investment Supervisor (1990 – 1992)
METRO MEDIA, Dallas, TX (1982 – 1990)
National chain of fine dining and casual steakhouse and American cuisine concepts.
Steak and Ale Restaurant Manager (1987 – 1990)
Operations, Unit Controller, Systems Development, Trainer (1987 – 1990)
Formal education is in Business Management/Finance with certifications in HACCP and Food Safety Programs. Continuing Education and Training includes: High Performance Consulting, Inspirational Leadership, Diversity Management, Dale Carnegie Effective Leadership, Time Power Management, Business Writing, Retail Systems.
National Restaurant Association
Specialty Coffee Association of America
International Dairy, Deli Bakery Association
National Association of Convenience Stores
National Convenient Store Advisory Group
Foodservice Consultants Society International