Ed CollupyConsulting Partner
Information Systems and Technology leader with over 35 years’ retail experience collaborating and delivering business system solutions to cross functional teams including Store Operations, Merchandising/Marketing, Accounting. In-depth knowledge of convenience store industry. Entrepreneurial experience ranges from long range strategic positioning to the integration of Information Systems into existing operations, start-up opportunities and store acquisitions. Demonstrated abilities to plan, initiate, implement, and support diverse strategies.
b2b SOLUTIONS, LLC, Lake Forest, Illinois
Full service consulting company for retailers and suppliers to retail firms.
Consultant, 2016 – Present
Responsible for working with clients in all areas of retail information technology with particular emphasis on the business use of system solutions and the selection, implementation and support of store & enterprise-wide management systems.
W. CAPRA CONSULTING GROUP, Chicago, Illinois
Chicago-based W. Capra Consulting Group is a leading provider of strategy and implementation services for retail businesses. The firm has deep expertise in retail technology, payment processing, security and enterprise retail systems and processes. Specialties include: Point of Sale, Retail Systems, EMV, E2E Encryption, Mobile Payments, Security Strategies, PCI, Payment Infrastructures, and Loyalty.
Executive Consultant (May 2015 – Present)
Provides advisory services and deliverables to further establish the W. Capra brand:
- Develop business opportunity strategies
- Guide the development of marketing collateral
- Represent the firm on industry working committees and at events
- Published content – NACS & CSP Magazines, and Industry Thought Leader columnist at cstoredecisions.com
- Deliver strategic guidance to the firm’s partners and team with focus on Enterprise Retail Systems:
- Collaborate on client engagement projects providing strategic, operational, and project leadership.
- Developing a comprehensive business overview for an international manufacturing client looking to enter the US Convenience and Retail Petroleum industry by providing education of the industry’s market segments, typical industry business/supply chain relationships, complexities of the technology decision making processes, fundamental technical integration requirements, and other considerations.
- Establishing strategic partnerships with major hardware and software providers in the areas of POS Payments and Workforce Management.
- Lead or assist on internal projects to realize the full potential of the business.
THE PANTRY, INC. (1996 – May 2015)
Headquartered in Cary, NC, The Pantry, Inc. was a Fortune 500 convenience store chain in the southeastern United States with $7.7 billion in annual revenue. The Company operated over 1,500 multi-formatted stores in thirteen states primarily under the Kangaroo Express® banner. The Pantry’s stores offered a broad selection of merchandise, as well as multi-branded fuel and Quick Service Restaurants (QSR) along with other ancillary services designed to appeal to customer’s convenience needs.
Vice President, Retail IT & POS Systems
Vice President, Information Services/Technology
Direct growth of systems, technology infrastructure, and talent management competencies:
- Managed a cohesive technology team which grew from 10 to 125 people, focused on a strategy to successfully support key business initiatives.
- Established, developed, and delivered all aspects of IT services including Store Systems Help Desk, Enterprise Systems Development, Infrastructure Technology support and Project Management Office.
- Implemented a holistic systems project approach through design, selection, development, maintenance, and support of enterprise-wide applications.
- Accountable for annual departmental budget of up to $13M and $30M Capital Expenditure.
- Negotiated favorable contracts and purchase agreements with a diverse group of system providers, integrators and support partners.
Develop, align and execute IT strategies:
- Directed and guided enterprise-wide Information Technology assessments with board and executive team support.
- Engaged IT and cross functional business groups with selection, planning, and delivery of system solutions.
- Led the design, integration and implementation of multi-million dollar portfolios of projects across all lines of business of both enterprise & store systems.
- Established IT governance process with focus on establishing priorities while enhancing the company’s strategic capabilities and improving operational effectiveness.
- Provided new revenue and margin improvement opportunities with POS and back office systems.
- Transformed functional business team’s systems and processes, with specific emphasis on new and upgraded Store Operations & Retail Accounting systems.
- Implemented Business Intelligence tools, processes and reports including best practice based cloud system for Financial Analytics and Merchandising/Marketing teams.
- Revived less than successful Workforce Management & Price Optimization systems to transform them to sustainable cloud-based systems.
Lead IT collaboration on company-wide initiatives:
- Responsible for due diligence and execution of IT-related transition and integration plans related to over 100 acquisitions that facilitated growth from 400 to over 1600 stores
- Guided the technology conversion for one of the largest successful acquisition systems strategies in the U.S. Convenience Store Industry; ensuring ‘Day 1’ transition of key systems.
- Partnered with Marketing & Merchandising teams on changes and improvements to POS & other systems to support key branding and product introductions.
- Successfully drove IT-wide Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) initiative through comprehensive planning and coordination with business partners and auditing teams.
- Implemented new systems, established related controls and processes to meet compliance requirements associated with Payment Card Industry (PCI) through active communications with business teams, 3rd party partners, and auditing firms.
- Selected as lead IT member for company’s 2014 strategic plan development and execution with focus on Change Management and sustained pilot test and learn process.
SHAW’S SUPERMARKETS, E. Bridgewater, MA
Accounting Systems Liaison
- Stabilized key operational & revenue driven system through implementation of upgrades and process changes.
- Implemented a contemporary upgradable platform for expanded functionality (e.g. ACH, Loyalty).
- Selected as core member of company’s first formal process improvement project.
PURITY SUPREME SUPERMARKETS, No. Billerica, MA
Director, Front End Operations
- Directed Store Systems and Store Operations professionals responsible for POS Systems, Help Desk, Checkout/Cash Office processes & Labor Scheduling, and implementation of complex initiatives and systems supporting these functions.
- Implemented, as early adopters, technology solutions including UPC bar code scanning, electronic coupon marketing, credit/debit payment solutions, and email-like communications.
- Led enterprise-wide special projects –work stoppage contingency planning, rebranding of company operating name, and conversion of an acquired chain’s store systems.
Bachelor of Arts
Suffolk University, Boston, Massachusetts
Delivering Information Services
Harvard Business School Executive Education
National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS)
Convention Education Content Committee
NACS Show Technology Task Force
Chair – NACSTech 2012
Technology Council Special Advisor (Past)
Conexxus (formerly Petroleum and Convenience Alliance for Technology Standards/PCATS)
Board Member & Past Chairperson
Council of Retail Experts (CORE) Member
Merchants Payment Coalition
NACS appointed retailer representative
Share the Blessings, Inc.
President and Founding Member
Sacred Heart Cathedral, Raleigh NC
Chair, Pastoral Council