Lou MaiellanoConsulting Partner
Lou is a broadly experienced marketing/sales manager with significant credentials in the convenience store and tobacco business. Expertise includes, innovative marketing initiatives, store management/operations, profit improvement, negotiating skills, effective new program and product rollouts and building and maintaining productive vendor relationships. Known for industry leadership, communication skills, team building and ability to energize every organization he has managed.
b2b SOLUTIONS, LLC, Lake Forest, Illinois
Marketing and consulting company for retailers, manufacturers and suppliers to retail firms.
Consultant, 2005 – Present
Responsible for helping clients improve their competitive advantage and profitability through executable marketing solutions, specializing in the tobacco industry.
- Has completed highly successful retail marketing plans for retail organizations which have experienced 11% to 28% unit growth in the cigarette category generating increased sales & profits. Has also helped his clients experience 35% to 45% unit growth in the OTP category generating increased sales & profits
- Works with retailers, suppliers and manufacturers in training their sales team on how to develop, execute and evaluate successful marketing plans.
- Provides site/chain acquisition analysis for investment group. Develops marketing strategy and executes marketing strategy throughout investment group acquisitions.
- Program & product development for manufacturers in the tobacco industry.
SUNOCO, INC., Philadelphia, PA (1997 – 2005)
A $13 billion refining and marketing company with assets along the eastern seaboard.
National Category Manager (2000 – 2005)
Created and managed strategy and profitability for tobacco category for 1,000 convenience stores operating in 19 states. Produced annual revenues of up to $395 million.
- Increased sales of cigarettes over a four year period by $151 million, during a time of decline in the tobacco industry.
- Expanded tobacco presentations from three companies (Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds, Brown & Williamson) to seven, (adding Lorillard, Commonwealth, Liggett Vector Brands and Santa Fe) creating a distinct competitive advantage.
- Introduced concept of using a “third party installer” to implement tobacco “presentations” in 1,000 convenience stores. Provided a uniform and superior presentation with minimum disruption of operations and at reduced cost.
- Increased gross profits by $27.4 million for cigarettes over a four-year period.
- Established and nurtured many new partnering relationships with vendors and significantly improved existing relationships. Emphasized increased interaction of vendors with all operations and sales/marketing team members.
- Increased sales of smokeless tobacco cans by 59% over a four year period.
- First in the industry to introduce a Smokeless Business Building initiative. Included brochures, sales incentives and promotional programs.
- Grew “other tobacco product” sales by 50% from 2001 to present.
- Built a multi-faceted communication process to retail locations including plan-o-grams, promotions, pricing, new product rollouts, signage guidelines and clear manufacturer expectations. Produced both additional Retail Display Allowance revenues and overall increase in sales.
Area Operations Manager (1997 – 2000)
Managed up to 17 company operated convenience stores with $71 million annual sales. Included staffing, training, sales and marketing programs, financial management and managing both corporate and vendor relationships. Chosen for four month special assignment as Regional Sales Manager (150 locations in five states).
MOBIL OIL, INC., Philadelphia, PA (1996 – 1997)
Supervisor of Company Operations
Managed a territory consisting of eight convenience/gas locations with $32 million annual revenues. Part of team which introduced the successful “On the Run” marketing concept to convenience store locations in Philadelphia. Substantially improved area performance.
LG INTERNATIONAL/PEPPERMINT TWIST CAFE, Philadelphia, PA (1994 – 1996)
Small Business Consultant to convenience stores and restaurants. Developed “PTC”, a 50’s theme restaurant.
WAWA FOOD MARKETS, Wawa, PA (1982 – 1994)
Managed 22 company operated convenience store locations with in excess of $50 million annual sales.
Master of Arts in Biblical Studies
Biblical Theological Seminary, Hatfield, PA
Bachelor of Science
Philadelphia College of Bible, Langhorne, PA
Engineering Credits (60)
Penn State University, Ogontz, PA
United States Smokeless Tobacco Advisory Board (2000 to present)
National Convenience Retailer Conference Advisory Council,
Chairs Tobacco Subcommittee (2002 to present)
RJ Reynolds Retail Advisory Board (2001 – 2004)
Philip Morris Retail Advisory Board (2002- 2004)
Convenience Store Petroleum Retail Advisory Board (2001 – 2005)
New York Association of Convenience Stores (2000 – 2005)
Director “Children’s Miracle Network” (2000 – 2005)
Tobacco Outlet Business Editorial Advisory Board Member (2005 to present)